Pages

Sunday, 31 May 2015

GALVESTON AND THE NAUTICAL DRESS

The first I went to Galveston, I was kind of disappointed. The beach was ok, but flanked by a busy 4-lane road with very in frequent pedestrian traffic lights, and the restaurants with a sea view were disappointing.  But last Saturday it had stopped raining and we took a sailing class in Kemah, East of Houston in the Gulf of Mexico. Our captain told us about an old Sail boat that was now turned into a museum anchored in Galveston and we spontaneously decided to head over there.

The museum was in the old port and when we arrived there, there was a corvette show going on and we had to drive around a while before finding a parking lot. This allowed us to get to know the town a bit better and we discovered the old ware house and commercial district, dotted with antique shops...
And this is why I want to participate in "Getrödelt, gefunden, gefreut" this month: After we enjoyed the ship and a wonderful lunch nearby, we strolled through the streets and I quick-searched every antique shop. One vintage shop caught my eye and while my better half extracted all information about local events and history from the very helpful shopkeeper, I rummaged through the racks. One navy blue dress caught my eye, and I just wanted to try it, with no intention of buying yet another dress.
But it fit. The colour was great. The design is rather graphic with a white line going down the front and a fabric covered belt. No frills. Machine wash. Late 50s, maybe 60s. Home it went with me...
And tonight I already wore at a swing dance party with a live band.... here matched with the shoes and the bag from last month's post...

Verdict: it could only be more perfect if it had pockets. Wonderful to dance in, great fit, not too tight or stuffy, elegant and comfortable!

5 comments:

  1. Beautiful dress! All those pictures of Sail bots let me even more long for summer!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Zauberhaft siehst Du aus :) Und das Kleid wollte offensichtlich unbedingt mit - da sollte man sich dann auch nicht zu sehr wehren ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Danke für das Kompliment - und noch besser: das Kleid ist auch sehr tanztauglich! Es ist luftig, schwingt schön - und maschinenwaschbar!

      Delete